Saturday, November 21, 2009

At least I had a beer.

So after the fondant and cake bit a few weeks ago, I redeemed myself by tinkering with a cloths dryer that suddenly stopped working, and then tackling the "I refuse to close" back window on our mini van. Just as I was feeling male again, I realize how I have spent much of the past 30 hours.

Friday evening: Put yest, milk, sugar, salt, and flour into my (yes, my) Kitchen Aid mixer and mix until it forms a soft, moist dough. Put dough in a bag and place in the refrigerator. Clean bowl and place lots and lots and lots (AKA about 1 pound) of butter and a little flour in mixer and mix. Form into a 5 x 6 x 1 inch block and chill in refrigerator overnight. Repeat 3 times - Hell if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna make lots!

Saturday: Roll out 1 batch of the dough into a 10 x 17 inch rectangle. Place one of the butter/flour blocks on the dough and center it. I'd shoot for the "five hole," but I'm baking and not playing hockey. (I said to "center it") Wrap the ends of the dough around the butter block and seal. Using a French rolling pin, pound the package out to a 14 x 6 x 1 inch rectangle. If dough/butter block is still cool, roll out to a ~25 x ~14 inch rectangle. Fold into thirds so it is about 8 x 14 inches. Wrap in plastic and chill for 2 hours. Repeat for the other two batches of dough and butter blocks.
After the chill, roll the dough/butter into a rectangle about 25 x 14 inches. Fold into a 14 x 8 inch rectangle, wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. Repeat for the others. After the chill roll each batch into a rectangle about 25 inches by 14 inches - do a "wallet fold" to end up with a rectangle about 14 by 6 inches. Cut into rectangles about 6 by 7 inches. Cover each with plastic and chill for at least two hours.
Crack open a bottle of beer and take a swig. Keep beer handy. Swig as needed during the remaining process. Roll each 6 by 7 inch rectangle into a rectangle about 24 by 15 inches. Fold into a 12 by 15 inch rectangle. Cut into triangles with a base between 3 and four inches long - unfold and separate the triangles. Wrap in plastic and freeze for formation into croissant shapes on Thursday.

1 comment:

Me said...

Time well spent. They were yummy!