Friday, November 21, 2008

Did We Move To Someplace Like The Bay Area Or London Overnight?

We awoke this morning to the faint smell of wood smoke in the house. This sometimes happens on colder mornings if our neighbors fired up their wood stoves. I suspect it seeps in through the vent above the stove, or maybe the dryer vent. Other than that we have a pretty tight house. The smell was stronger in the living room and kitchen. This was still no real concern; it was WOOD smoke, not house fire smoke. As I went outside to feed the dogs, I noticed I could barely see houses 50-75 feet away due to the smoke. The odor also nearly knocked me down, and I had the urge to look for a crew wearing yellow nomex shirts, and carrying firefighting tools. This was like a thick fog, but stinkier and was definitely NOT due to a neighbor. The smoke from nearby burning of slash piles, or a prescribed burn had settled into our area and created a thick haze that reminded me of the wild land firefighters saying: "The blacker the booger, the greener the paycheck." This would be fine if I were digging fire line, but in my current life it is: The thicker the smoke, the blacker the lungs, the sicker the stomach and the poundier the headache. I just keep reminding myself that this is all for the best and will keep us safer from the time WHEN a wildfire does threaten Flagstaff. Remember: it is WHEN, not IF.

No comments: