Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I Want a Do-Over

The tip-off should have been my inability to stay awake as my wife was driving us to work this morning. Not even the 2Km bike ride to finish my trip to work woke me up. My brain had the computational ability of canned movie-theater nacho cheese the entire day. The pinacle of the day occured this afternoon as I was working on converting and uploading a breakage charges file into PeopleSquash. I continually got a message telling me there was an error with the date. All involved agreed that the date was correct, and in the right format. After an hour or so of analysis by myself and two others it was determined that the problem was in the student ID number and not the date. After manually adjusting the ID number for each of the charges, I finally got the file to upload. I then posted it with no further problems. I pulled off the posted charges report and noticed a major problem - I posted the charges for last semester (fall 2007). So I quicly uploaded and posted the charges for spring 2008 and proceeded to check the new charges for Fall 2007. They weren't there. So I checked the post for spring 2008. Yep - double charged. In other words I thought I made a mistake, but I was wrong. I had pulled off the wrong post report the first time. Twenty minutes and three phone calls later the second post was reversed and the students were charged the correct amount. Because I am perfect, I'm blaming PeopleSquash, and everyone will believe me.

No comments: