Friday, June 13, 2008

K and M are metric metrics - learn them!

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who exclaim that "Flagstaff is such a small town!" Flagstaff may not be a teeming metropolis of three, two, or even oneM souls, but it is far from a small town. Although I grew up in a place with a population nearly 50% more numerous than Flag, I have also lived in a small town. The town I lived in before moving here had a population of 653, that's only 3 more than my high school graduating class. A news flash folks, 60K is NOT a SMALL TOWN. Flagstaff is 90-100 times more populous than Hill City, SD. Hill City IS a small town. Flagstaff is not. I have a friend who grew up in the L.A. area who agrees with this. So why do so many people state the contrary. I conclude that these people have never seen, let alone lived in a city of fewer than 250K people. I pity them.

No comments: